Love it or hate it, the undeniable fact is that the Harry Potter franchise has created a massive impact on our pop culture. It took the world by storm, especially children, teens, and young adults. Because of its mass popularity, it became a trend to dress up as a witch or wizard in Halloweens.
Every year you will see many people dress up as wizards complete with a magic wand in hand. And you have to admit; a well-designed wand looks beautiful and you will see exactly how to make Harry Potter wands yourself in this article.
Besides on Halloween, some people even have Potter themed parties that require you to dress up as a character from the series. Finding the costumes for the dress-up is easy enough. But you might have a hard time finding a nice wand to go along with it.
If you are planning to buy one, you might have to prepare yourself for spending a lot of money as they can cost quite a lot. But what if you could make one for yourself at home?
Yes, despite how it might seem, making a harry potter wand is quite easy. And since you have us to guide you along the way, you should be able to handle it without too much effort.
Let’s Learn How to Make Harry Potter Wands
You would be happy to know that making a harry potter wand is not all that difficult. Even children under the supervision of an adult can handle this project relatively easily. There are, in fact, many different ways to do this. But not all of them are equally tough.
In this article, we will discuss three easy methods on how to make a harry potter wand. So, without further ado, let us dive right into it.
Method 01. Make Wands Using a Wooden Stick
One of the easiest ways to make a harry potter want is to use a wooden stick. You can easily find it from any tree around the yard and get started on your project. Since the process is not very demanding, you will be on your way to becoming a full-on wizard in no time.
Here are the things you will need to make a harry potter wand using a wooden stick:
- A short and thin wooden stick
- Hot glue gun
- String tape
- Small buttons or beads
- Acrylic paint
- Acrylic Spray Sealer
If you have gathered all the supplies, let us go through the entire process step by step.
- Using the right stick for the project will ensure you have the best-looking wand in your hand. Try to find one that is 10 to 13 inches in length and is no thicker than your finger. Also, make sure that the shape of the stick is right.
- You need to start by sanding the tip of the stick to give it a rounded shape. As you will see in movies, the tip of the wand is slightly tapered. You could try to replicate that as closely as possible. Slowly sand the end, moving to a finer grit as you go. Also, sand or cut off any sharp ends of the stick.
- If you want your wand to have a handle, you can carve it using the glue gun. The handle is usually around 2-3 inches long. Cover the handle end of the stick with 2-3 layers of glue with the hot glue gun. Make sure the first layer hardens before you apply the next layer.
- When the glue hardens, you can additionally carve different designs in the handle. Use the hot nozzle of the glue gun for this purpose. Another way to design the handle is to add a bead or button at the end. Just make sure that the size of the button is the same as the base of your wand.
- With the handle out of the way, you can move on to design the rest of the wand. If you have string tape, you can try creating a swirly design on the wand. Just twirl the wand in your hand as you stick the tape from the handle to the tip of the wand. You can even use glue if you cannot find tape for this step.
- Your wand is shaping up quite nicely. Now it is time to add the colors. Use a paintbrush and acrylic paint to give it a base color first. You could go with brown, black, or white. Then when it dries, add in some extra textures if you wish to give the wand more character. For instance, you could add some extra streaks of light brown color around the middle part of the wand.
- When all the paint dries, and you are happy with its looks, you can seal it using the acrylic spray sealer. Although it is not essential, applying a seal will ensure your wand survives longer.
Method 02. Make Wands Using A Wooden Paintbrush
Another way to go about making a harry potter wand is to use an old wooden paintbrush. You can even use a chopstick for this purpose. If you are using a paintbrush, make sure the size is not too big for your hand. Ideally, it should be around the same thickness as a chopstick.
The steps are pretty simple and easy to follow. As long as you take things slowly and go along with our guide, you should be done with the project without any hassle.
Here are a few things you need to get started on this project.
- A wooden Paintbrush
- SandpaperHot glue gun
- Acrylic paint
- Paint or foam brushes
- Small beads
- Acrylic spray sealer
With everything at hand, follow the instructions below to make your wand.
- Take a paintbrush or chopstick of around 15 inches. If you are making it for a child, you can get one of a smaller length. Chop off the brush end of the paintbrush using a hacksaw or simply snap it off by hand starting from the metal crimp. You will not need that part.
- Proceed to sand off any sharp or pointy ends of the paintbrush. Use fine-grit sandpaper for this step. Make sure to round up the tip as close as you can.
- Using the hot glue gun, you need to build up the handle part of the wand. The process is similar to that of using a wooden stick. Just work your way slowly applying 2-3 layers of glue until you are happy with the way it looks. You can also create thicker layers in different parts of the handle to give it a more authentic look.
- Carve additional designs on the body of the wand with the hot glue gun. Spiral or streaks are common yet nice design addition to elevate the looks of the wand.
- If you want to add the beads to the handle, now is the time to do it with the glue gun. You do not need to worry about the color as you will be painting over it. Make sure the beads or buttons are not too wide.
- Now that the skeleton of the wand is ready, you can move on to painting it. You could water down the acrylic paint if you want to preserve some of the original texture of the paintbrush. Use a shade of black and brown and paint over the brush the way you want, adding around 2-3 layers of paint.
- When the paint dries, you can highlight some parts of the wand using a lighter shade of the color of your choice. It looks really good when you want to highlight any elevated sections of the wand.
- After all the paint dries completely, you can use the acrylic sealer to seal the paint if you want the wand to last as long as possible.
Method 03. Make Wands Using Printer Paper
The last method we will take a look involves a sheet of a printer or A4 sized paper. It is a simple process, and you could be done with everything in under half an hour.
For the first few times, it might take some trial and error on your part. But when you get the hang of it, it might be the easiest way to make a harry potter wand.
First, make sure you have all the supplies you need by going through the checklist below.
- A sheet of printer paper
- Double-sided tape
- Paper scissors
- White paper glue
- Hot glue gun
- Acrylic Paint
- Acrylic spray sealer
If you have everything you need, let us jump into the actual process of making a harry potter wand using printer paper.
- Take your double-sided tape and stick it diagonally across the surface of the paper. Starting at one corner of the paper, roll it tightly to the opposite corner. Roll over the double-sided tape so that the paper sticks to it. Try to keep one end tapered by rolling a little less on that side.
- When you get to the last third of the paper, add some paper glue to the roll and paper. Continue rolling over the glued part so that the paper sticks tightly. Hold it in place until the glue dries completely.
- After the glue dries, the wand should feel stiff. However, if you want even more sturdiness, you could roll an even thinner piece of paper, and put it on the inside of the first roll. It would give you an even stronger base.
- Trim off both the ends of the wand to round it off. Try to keep the cut straight and even on both ends. Use a pencil marker to mark the spots before making the cut if you want.
- Plug the ends of the wand after trimming using the hot glue gun. You can even use small patches of rolled-up tissues to fill the ends. However, just dribbling the ends with glue gun carefully should suffice. Make sure you let the glue dry one end, before moving on to the other.
- You can now create the surface detail of the wand using the glue gun carefully. By now, the wand should already feel stiff, so you do not have to worry about softening the paper. Go gentle on the trigger because you do not want to pour too much glue and mess up your design.
- Once you have your desired design, and the glue dries, you can start painting it. Use a dark shade of acrylic paint and paint over the sections of the wand using the paintbrush. Add a few layers of paint and wait for each layer to set properly before moving on to the next one.
- You can highlight the detailed parts of the wand using an even darker shade of the same color. It gives the wand a more authentic look
- If you are happy with your design, seal it up using the spray sealer to protect the paint.
There you have it, three easy to follow methods for making your very own harry potter wand.
Tips When Making a Harry Potter Wand
Now that you know how to make harry potter wands, a few extra tips will help elevate the experience further. These tips should help you get a decent guideline on how you should proceed with the project. So, without further ado, here are a few tips when making a harry potter wand.
When using small beads in the handles, make sure to fully dip it in glue before it dries. It will ensure that it stays on tightly without wobbling.
- The thickness of the wand should be around ¼ to ¾ inches. For reference, you can compare it with the thickness of a pencil or your pinkie finger.
- After the glue dries, you can add even more designs on it.
- Do not go for high-temperature glue guns. Just an average low-temperature gun should suffice for the process.
- You can also use thin vines around the handle to make them look like Hermione’s wand.
- Typically, a wand has a length of around 9-14 inches. So, make sure you stay within this range to make it look good.
- You can also use pencils to make wands. However, the wand may feel too stiff in your hands.
- Adding gold and silver streaks or glitters can also give your wand a different look.
- For reference, you could take a look at different wands in the harry potter movies. It would give you an idea as to how your wand should look when you are done.
- The hot nozzle of the glue gun works great when you want to carve designs on the glue. Just be careful not to press on the trigger.
- Give your glue gun around five minutes to heat up. It will make the gun more comfortable to use.
- In case you do not have a glue gun, try using puff paint to make the designs. However, the designs will not be as highlighted with it.
- For making the handle, you can use paper clay. Wrap it around the base of the wand and smooth it out using your fingers. Then you can use a pencil to carve designs on it quickly.
- Experiment with different styles. Even if your first wand does not turn out well, do not give up and keep trying.
- For a quick and easy wand, take a chopstick and wrap a black rubber tape around it. It will not be as pretty, but it works as a quick fix.
- When buying glue sticks for the hot glue gun, make sure you compare the size and temperature. Since you are using a low-temperature gun, you need small glue sticks. Your glue gun will not be able to house bigger sticks or even melt it properly.
- Keep the hot glue gun and cutting tools away from children when making the wand. If your child is making the wand, make sure you are supervising to avoid accidents.
FAQs About Making Harry Potter Wands
Can I make a wand with a regular stick?
Yes, you can. You can make a wand using any stick you can find as long as you can trim it down to proper size.
What should be the total length and thickness of the wand?
If you want your wand to be close to the original, the length should be around 9-14 inches, and the thickness should be around ¼ to ¾ inches.
Can I use normal glue instead of hot glue?
Yes, you can. However, normal glue would take longer to dry. You can also use a superglue.
Can I use watercolor instead of acrylic paint?
You can use watercolor instead of acrylic paint. But they will not be able to highlight the designs of the wand as an acrylic paint can.
Making a harry potter wand is a fun project that takes little time and effort on your part. And when you are finally done with it, it makes for a very rewarding experience.
We hope you found our guide on how to make harry potter wands informative and helpful. Now you can dress up as your favorite harry potter character in preparation for the coming Halloween parties.